Sautéed onion and an eclectic blend of spices contribute plenty of flavor to this simple rice and lentil dish topped with a zesty blend of olives, lemon, and herbs.Serves 4
For the Brown Rice and Lentils:
- 1 cup green or brown lentils (dry)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 3/4 cup brown rice (dry)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
For the Gremolata:
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped or finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, chopped or finely grated
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Soak lentils in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan on medium high and sauté the onion until soft. Mix in rice.
- Drain lentils and stir into rice and onion mixture with dry spices, brown sugar, and pinch of black pepper.
- Add water, bring to simmer, cover, and cook on a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and keep covered for another 15 minutes before serving.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare the gremolata by mixing together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Serve rice and beans topped with 2 tablespoons gremolata.