An aromatic forest of sweet, steamed broccoli.
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or chopped slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toast pine nuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium then include onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as necessary, until soft and golden brown (10-15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until just tender (4-6 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl. Add nuts, onion, vinegar and pepper; toss to coat. Serve immediately.