Vitamin C and Iron: Citrus fruits increase absorption of iron from foods like shrimp.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined*
- 1 tablespoon + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 grapefruit, pith removed and sliced
- 2 heads butter lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium. Add shrimp, salt, and pepper, and cook until pink on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Cool in refrigerator (can be made a day in advance).
- Whisk to combine 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, vinegar, mustard, and honey.Set aside.
- Combine lettuce with shrimp, grapefruit, avocado, and onion. Toss in vinaigrette and serve immediately.
*Note: According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watchprogram, look for U.S. shrimp farmed in recirculating systems or inland ponds, which are “Best Choices”. Check out www.SeafoodWatch.org and then ask your fish market or grocery store fish stall for details.