These classic Italian almond cookies are a delicious way to treat your tastebuds in addition to your health, as they are lower in saturated fats and higher in healthy fats than most cookies.Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups almond meal or flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 plus 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon orange juice (optional)
- Mix almond meal with granulated sugar, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, baking powder, and orange zest.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form, then stir into almond mixture and fold in the orange juice (optional).
- Scoop dough into balls roughly equivalent to two tablespoons. Roll the balls in the remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar, place about 1-inch apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and flatten slightly. Sift powdered sugar over the top. Leave the cookies at room temperature for about 1 hour to dry before baking.*
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Once cookies have dried, bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden, firm on the outside and still soft in the center.
*If you do not have multiple baking sheets, cookies may be dried on a counter or cutting board and transferred to baking sheet prior to baking.