Packed with vegetables and spices, these hand pies are topped with a zesty vegan spread made with cashews and miso.
For the pie dough:
- 5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 3-4 teaspoon water
- 1 cup cold water
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add oil and mix with a paddle attachment at low speed.
- Mix together only until the mixture starts to clump slightly.
- Add cold water and continue to mix until dough starts to form.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue mixing until the dough comes together.
- Cover and chill until needed.
For the filling:
- 4 lb Calabria, Acorn, or Butternut squash
- 4 medium-large red peppers, diced
- 4 small scotch bonnet pepper, carefully seeded and diced (for a less-spicy dish, substitute milder jalapeño or serrano peppers)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 large scallions, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated ginger root
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Canola oil
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- ut squash in half and remove the seeds. Cover the exposed flesh with oil. Place the cut side down on a sheet pan and roast until tender (~40 minutes). Then remove from oven and flip over to allow the steam to evaporate. Once cooled, remove the skin and place in a large bowl.
- Saute the onion, peppers, garlic and ginger until onions and peppers are tender. Add the thyme and dry spices and continue to saute for another minute.
- Blend the zucchini, sauteed mixture, salt and pepper to the squash.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal round pads.
- Roll each into about 6 inch ovals.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fill one side of the oval with filling, leaving ½ inch on the edges. Lightly brush the edges with water. Fold over and crimp the edges with a fork. Place on parchment lined sheet pans.
- Bake for about 20 min or until brown.
For the cashew sour cream:
- 2 cups cashews
- 2 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Combine in a blender and process until chopped.
- Slowly add water to desired consistency.