A classic Hungarian dish with so much paprika flavor that you won’t even miss the salt. To reduce saturated fat content, remove the chicken skin prior to serving.Serves 4 Sodium: Under 200mg per 1 cup serving
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 – 3 large yellow onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons paprika, preferably sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 banana peppers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 tablespoons milk (can use lowfat milk, but sauce will be thinner)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium high. Pat chicken pieces
dry and add to oil, cooking 3 – 4 minutes on each side until
browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the onions to the oil and cook covered over very low heat
until soft. Turn off heat and stir in paprika and black pepper.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Turn heat up to mediumlow,
add chicken, cover and cook for about 30 minutes. Add
water as necessary.
- Remove lid, add banana peppers and cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces and place on a serving platter
- In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, milk and flour. Stir this into contents of the pot to make the paprika sauce. Stir until blended. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes, but do not allow to boil. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.